It’s said that a picture paints of thousand words. Well, when it comes to this coconut loaf cake, the image does not do it enough justice!
I find coconut has this pleasing natural sweet aroma which makes the kitchen smells amazing when it was baking in the oven. To really live up to the name of a coconut loaf cake, I’ve used coconut sugar, coconut milk and desiccated coconut in this recipe!
Obviously, there’s no such thing as coconut overload in my world ha! *wink*
I’d like to highlight that this is also a vegan friendly baking recipe. No eggs and dairy free. As coconut milk already contains some fat, there’s no need to add any oil and the beauty is it still stays moist and crumbly. While frosting the loaf is optional, I think it adds a wow factor especially you are entertaining friends and family. I used a chocolate coconut spread from Pure Harvest to give my loaf a delicious coating of chocolate. Doesn’t it looks like chocolate ganache?
Uhhmmm, don’t you find sticky and chocolaty topping to be very irresistible?
PrintVegan Coconut & Chia Seeds Loaf Cake
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsps water
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g (3.5 oz) coconut sugar
- 270ml light coconut milk
- 75g desiccated coconut & extra to sprinkle over frosting
- 2 Tbsps soy/almond milk
- 120g/4 ounces chocolate coconut spread
- To prepare chia seeds gel as egg substitute, add chia seeds and water into a small bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a loaf pan with baking paper. Grease the area which is not covered by the baking paper with cooking oil (i.e. olive oil)
- In a bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and coconut sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add chia seeds gel and 1/2 cup coconut milk and mix until well combined using a fork.
- Stir in desiccated coconut and stir well.
- Then, add the flour-coconut-sugar mixture and stir until well combine.
- Gradually stir in the remaining coconut milk to mix all the ingredients. The desired texture is like a wet batter (still hold its shape but still on moist side). I added two tablespoons of soy milk on top of the coconut milk.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the loaf cake is springy to touch/ a cake tester comes out clean. Please note that I used a 25cm/10 inched loaf pan and the specified time above is for this particular size of loaf pan. You will need to lengthen the baking if you use a smaller loaf pan.
- Optional When the loaf is completely cooled, spread the chocolate coconut spread on top of the loaf.
3.1http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/sugary-treats/vegan-sweet-coconut-loaf-cake/Visit www.fussfreecooking.com for more delicious recipes.