Having a savoury tooth, I have a soft spot for savoury bread especially the ones from Bread Top. I particularly like the cheesy ones. What’s not to love about the differing texture of the crunchy blistered cheese and chewy warm melted cheese on bread?
Oh boy, blogging about bread and cheese at 10pm at night was probably not a great idea as it is making moi a little hungry!
Even though I love the convenience of buying from my favourite bakery, I also love the satisfaction of baking savoury bread at home. Yes, I’ve finally become brave enough to venture into bread making territory. Come to think of it, I don’t know why I feared bread making in all these years? The bread making process is a pure joy and needless to say, the aftermath is equally delightful.
For these pizza scrolls, I’ve decided to use the pizza dough recipe from taste.com.au simply because it produces the fluffiest texture that I like. As for the filling, I thought why not try different ingredients we don’t usually find in the pizza scrolls sold in bakery and supermarket. Instead of ham or bacon, I used smoked chicken. For a little sweetness, instead of pineapple, I opted for craisins.
PrintPizza Scrolls with Smoked Chicken & Craisins
- For the dough:
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tsps dried yeast (1 x 7g sachet)
- A pinch of caster sugar (fine sugar)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsps pizza sauce (2 x Leggo’s Pizza sauce Sachets)
- 150g smoked chicken breast, finely diced
- 1/4 cup dried craisins
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
For the filling:
- For the dough:
- Add water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add the yeast mixture and oil. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until the mixture is combined. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
- Brush a bowl lightly with oil. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in the prepared bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place to rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out the dough on a flour surface to make a 40cm x 35cm rectangle with a rolling pin.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the flatten dough using the back of a spoon. Scatter diced smoked chicken, craisins and shredded mozzarella over the dough.
- Gently roll the dough in a fairly tight log and cut crossways into 12 equal portions about an inch thick.
- Place scrolls on the prepared baking tray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
For the pizza scrolls:
3.1http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/meat-recipes/pizza-scrolls-with-smoked-chicken-craisins-my-lunch-box-favourite/Visit www.fussfreecooking.com for more delicious recipes.
More AWESOME PIZZA recipes:
Pizza Scrolls with Smoked Chicken & Craisins (My Lunch Box Favourite!)
Meatzza by Nigella Lawson (from her book “Nigellissima”)