I rarely use star anise in my cooking. Ever since my friend taught me how to make this soy and star anise braised chicken, I don’t think I can ever live without this dish. A tad too dramatic? Perhaps. 😛
I have made this dish many times and strangely, never thought of sharing this dish until now. It is so easy to make and if rice is your staple and obsession, this dish goes awesomely well with rice. Imagine the spiced, savoury and slightly garlicky sauce being mopped up by every grain of fluffy rice. Oh boy, there’s no words!
In effort to make a well-balanced meal, I have coupled the braised chicken with the crispy homemade fried shallots, sauteed choy sum and carrots. Topped with a sunny side up egg as well as perfectly arranged chicken and vegetables, you’ve got yourself a delicious and colourful rice bowl resembling a Korean bibimbap. Enjoy!
Print[Gluten Free Recipe] Chinese Chicken, Vegetables & Rice Bowl with Soy & Star Anise Braised Chicken
4 servings with rice
- Cooking oil
- 2 French shallots, thinly sliced
- A bunch Asian choy sum, finely chopped
- 4 baby carrots, peeled & diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 star anise
- 500g minced chicken
- About 2 tsps ground white pepper
- A couple of drops of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce (tamari) + extra to taste
- 1 tbsp Indonesian sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis) + extra to taste
- 1¾ cups water + ¼ cup to be mixed with cornflour
- ½ tbsp cornflour
- 4 eggs
- In a large stir fry pan, add a tablespoon of cooking oil. When the oil is hot, add the French shallots. Cook over low-medium heat until the shallots become golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- With the oil that is left on the pan, add diced carrots with a pinch of salt. Cook until tender and set aside on a plate and keep warm.
- Add chopped choy sum and a pinch of salt to the same pan. Cook until it is wilted but still retained a light crisp. Set aside on a plate and keep warm.
- In the same pan, add a little oil if needed, saute garlic and star anise until the garlic is aromatic.
- Add minced chicken, white pepper and sesame oil. Brown until 70% cooked.
- Add 1 tablespoon each of light soy sauce and Indonesian sweet soy sauce to the chicken. Toss to mix the sauce with the chicken. Continue cooking until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add 1¾ cups of water and quick braised the chicken for 10 minutes. In the meantime, combine ¼ water with cornflour until well combined.
- Add the cornflour mixture to the chicken and cook over high heat until the sauce is slightly thickens. Check for taste. Add more soy sauce/Indonesian sweet soy sauce to taste. Cover with a lid and keep warm.
- Make the sunny side up eggs.
- To serve, add rice to a bowl. Neatly arrange the choy sum, carrot and chicken. Sprinkle the fried shallots on the chicken and top with a sunny side up egg.
3.1http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/meat-recipes/gluten-free-recipe-chinese-chicken-vegetables-rice-bowl-with-soy-star-anise-braised-chicken/Visit www.fussfreecooking.com for more delicious recipes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Fuss Free Cooking for regular meal inspirations delivered straight to your inbox!