Being born and raised in Malaysia, I will always have a soft spot for tropical fruits. Even though it is a tad early to talk about summer time now, I have been really lucky with the sunny weather in Melbourne, which made me reminisce of summer in Orange.
Personally, I am up for a tropical themed cheesecake at any occasion and season. But summer time is when I crave for a lighter and refreshing dessert. I love how the tang from passion-fruit and pineapple mellows the richness of the cheesecake which makes an ideal dessert to cool off a warm backyard barbecue meal. Furthermore, just look at the colors they bring to the cheesecake, coupled with a drizzling of maple syrup, it feels like this cheesecake has been sun-kissed ha!
It took me a while to discover how to use almond meal to make a crust. Seriously, it is so delicious and totally fits with my fuss free theme. I love the added nuttiness almond meal crust brings. In fact it is so delicious that I think I can eat the crust on its own! I also love the convenience of not having to process biscuits, which makes the cheesecake gluten free, which also means that more people can enjoy this sweet, tart and summery dessert!
PrintGluten Free PassionFruit Cheesecake with Caramelised Pineapple
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
One 20-cm (8 inched) cheesecake
- Crust Ingredients:-
- 2½ cups almond meal
- 125g unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 3 Tbsps brown sugar
- 500g Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 85g passionfruit pulp (½ of 170g canned passionfruit pulp)
- 150g pinapple, diced
- ¼ cup maple syrup plus extra for final drizzling
- 85g passionfruit pulp (remaining ½ of 170g canned passionfruit pulp)
- Preheat oven to 180C for convection oven or 160C for fan force oven. Line the bottom of a 20cm spring form pan with baking paper and grease the side of the pan with melted butter. Set aside.
- Add almond meal, butter and brown sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Press the almond meal crumbs over base and the side of the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 160C for convection oven or 140C for fan force oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream Philadelphia Cream Cheese and caster with a handheld/stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla extract and passionfruit pulp. Continue beating until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the cream cheese batter onto the cooled almond meal crust.
- Place the spring form pan on a flat cookie pan to avoid leakage. Bake the cheesecake on the bottom rack (this is to prevent the surface from cracking) for an hour, or until the surface of the cheesecake appears to be light golden brown.
- Transfer the cheesecake onto a plate to cool completely.
- Refrigerate the cheesecakes for at least 3 hours, until it is fully set.
- In a non-stick pan, add ¼ cup of maple syrup and cook over medium heat until it starts to bubble.
- Add pineapple and cook to reduce the maple syrup to a toffee like consistency. Transfer the caremelised pineapple onto a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining passionfruit onto the same pan and cook until jam consistency is achieved.
- Add the cooled caramelised pineapple onto the cheesecake, followed by the passionfruit. Drizzle with more maple syrup if preferred and serve immediately.
Caramelised Pineapple Topping:
Please make allowance for at least 3 hours of refrigeration time before serving.
3.1http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/sugary-treats/recipe-gluten-free-passionfruit-cheesecake-with-caramelised-pineapple/Visit www.fussfreecooking.com for more delicious recipes.
I have created this recipe as part of the Do Your Thing with PHILADELPHIA campaign and I am excited to share that this cheesecake will be featured on this month’s issue of Gourmet Traveller which I can’t wait to get my hands on! So now, you all can see how I made this cheesecake behind the scenes. 😉
Don’t forget to subscribe to Fuss Free Cooking for regular meal inspirations delivered straight to your inbox!