Here is another way to stay warm in the Fuss Free Cooking household – baking!
As outdoor activity is beginning to dwindle as we are heading to a colder month in Orange, I have been finding myself baking a little more than usual. Nothing overly complicated as per usual, but just a little breakfast treat with a kick of caffeine. You know how much I love my coffee. So much so that the lovely baristas at Factory Espresso can recite my order from the moment they hear my voice when I made a phone order ha!
I made these moist cinnamon and coffee muffins for morning tea at my beloved’s work. Yes, no more banana bread or banana muffins or banana cake FOR NOW. Let’s concentrate on these muffins today. When I made coffee from my Nespresso machine at home, I could not resist adding a generous sprinkle of ground cinnamon. So when I discovered this cinnamon and coffee muffins recipe, it was meant to be. The sweet and woodiness fragrance from the cinnamon adds warmth and wonderful depth of flavour to these coffee muffins.
Besides the beautiful aroma from these freshly baked muffins, this recipe uses melted butter, a small win to those who prefer a baking recipe without using softened butter.
PrintCinnamon & Coffee Wholemeal Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 125g unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 2 tbsps instant coffee granules
- 1 cup self-raising all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1½ tsps ground cinnamon
- ½ cup soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Line the muffin pan with muffin cases.
- Melt the butter in a microwave in a heat proof bowl. Set aside to cool.
- In a heatproof Pyrex glass measuring jug, warm the milk in the microwave for a couple of seconds until warm. Add the coffee granules and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add self-raising flour (both all-purpose & wholemeal), ground cinnamon and brown sugar. Use a whisk to mix the dry ingredients together and break up any chunky brown sugar lumps. Set aside.
- Add eggs to the milk and whisk until well mixed. Pour in melted butter and whisk again until well combined.
- Stir in the wet mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Divide the batter into 12 paper cases lined muffin holes. Smooth the top and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the tin and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
Adapted from Indulgence Coffee – A Fine Selection of Sweet Treats published by Murdoch Books
3.1http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/sugary-treats/recipe-cinnamon-coffee-wholemeal-muffins/Visit www.fussfreecooking.com for more delicious recipes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Fuss Free Cooking for regular meal inspirations delivered straight to your inbox!