I tried crispy taco for the first time at Mad Mex last month and it has since became a new addition to the Mexican dish I cooked at home. Before this, I have been rotating between fajitas, nachos and sometimes quesadillas but never crispy taco for some reasons. Partly I felt crispy tacos were a bit messy to eat but considering how delicious they are now to me, I can definitely get pass the messiness. 😉
Inspired by my new found favourite Mexican dish, I have decided to re-create it at home with my own twist – by adding quinoa for substance and garlic-yoghurt-tahini sauce instead of sour cream to for a healthier meal.
PrintGrilled Chicken & Guacamole Taco with Garlic-Yoghurt-Tahini Sauce
12 Crispy Tacos
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup hot boiling water
- 480g roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- A handful of chopped cilantro/coriander
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1.6kg avocado
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- A small handful of chopped cilantro/coriander
- 3 Tbsps tahini
- 3 Tbsps Greek yoghurt
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Lime rind from 1/2 lime, grated
- 3 Tbsps cooking oil
- 500g chicken tenderloins
- Plus: 2 servings of mixed salad leaves & 12 Old El Paso Taco Shells
- Cook quinoa:
- Add quinoa and boiling water into a small saucepan. Cook until the water is 90% absorbed. Turn off the flame and set aside to allow the quinoa to rest and absorbed the remaining liquid, covered with a lid.
- Chop tomatoes, red onion and fresh coriander. Combine all these ingredients in a bowl and toss with a squeeze of lime juice. Cover with a cling wrap and set aside in the fridge until it is ready to serve.
- In a bowl. slice the avocados in half, remove the pits and scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Then squeeze the lime juice over the avocado and a pinch of salt and mash them with a fork. Stir in chopped onion and coriander and mix well. Cover with a cling wrap and set aside in the fridge until it is ready to serve.
- Add tahini, yoghurt and grated garlic in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until well mixed. Slowly stir in water/milk (about 1/8 cup) until a consistency that is runny is enough for your to drizzle. Cover with a cling wrap and set aside in the fridge until it is ready to serve.
- Preheat a griddle pan. In a mixing bowl, add paprika, ground cumin, oregano, chilli flakes, black pepper, salt, grated lime rind and cooking oil. Whisk the ingredients with a fork until well combined. Add chicken tenderloins and toss until they are evenly coated with the marinate. Grill the chicken in the griddle pan on both sides until well cooked, turning once. Transfer the grilled chicken onto a plate and covered with an aluminum foil.
- Slice the chicken into bite sized pieces and set aside. Heat up the taco shells according to the packet instructions. To put together a taco, I firstly layer it with some salad leaves, then quinoa, chicken, tomato salsa and guacamole. Finally drizzle with the yoghurt-tahini sauce as well as some hot sauce and enjoy!
Prepare tomato salsa:
3.1http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/meat-recipes/grilled-chicken-guacamole-taco-garlic-yoghurt-tahini-sauce/Visit www.fussfreecooking.com for more delicious recipes.